30.1.10

Dans les Voooooooosges

Though rumor has it that the film festival this year is at an all-time low due to lack of sponsors/funding, there nevertheless may be a couple of heavy-hitting movies. Looking at some of the festival's past winners, I'm hoping I may have just seen the next "28 Days Later" (which in my opinion is a great zombie movie):

1997: Scream
1998: An American Werewolf in Paris (Grand Prix), Gattaca (Jury)
1999: Cube (Grand Prix), Bride of Chucky (Jury)
2000: Stir of Echoes
2003: The Gathering (Jury)
2005: Saw (2005)
2006: Isolation
2008: El Orfanato (Grand Prix), Teeth (Jury), REC (Prix du Public)
2009: The Midnight Meat Train (Prix du Public) <--why did I never see this?

Cool, huh? I saw "La Horde" last night, the only French horror film in competition, but that certainly is not going to win a thing -- what a waste of cinema. "La Horde": machine guns, zombies, a braless woman.

Tomorrow I'm going on another "sortie" with the alpine club: raquette (snowshoeing)! Apparently, the conditions are going to be fantastic: less blizzarding, deep, powdery snow, maybe even a little sun. I've always thought of snowshoeing as one of those silly sports that people do when it's not really necessary (as in, why would you strap a couple of tennis raquets on your feet when you could just go on a hike?). But since there's likely to be waist-high snow out there tomorrow...

..............................

To give you city-dwelling ignoramuses an idea of what mountain-bound French people eat, here are some very tradtional Vosges dishes that I haven't talked about much since they're not really up my cuisine alley (my cuisine alley?):

Quiche Lorraine: eggs, cheese, lardons


Raclette: cheese, potatoes, ham

 

Tartiflette: cheese, potatoes, lardons



Tarte Flambee: cream, onions, lardons

 

Tourte Lorraine: meat



The variety is astounding!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

gahblahbhkasdlhlfsbkfa you finally have a picture of tartiflette, aka my most precious french food memory after the falafel on rue des rosiers

Nicole said...

i wish i could go snowshoeing with you! i guess it does seem like a silly thing to do but it's always intrigued me, probably only because i think snowshoes are cute.