5.1.10

COTW

I already ate the whole thing, but it was good enough to document: Tourteau Fromager de Poitou:



It's really a gateau made with cheese, but since I found it in the cheese section of the grocery store, I'm counting it. It's a special kind of cake made in the Poitou-Charentes region of France that's eaten on weddings or special occasions, though the instructions on the box tell me I can eat it whenever I want!

While I'm on the topic of exciting dairy news, let me introduce you to thiakry, a Senegalese dessert that I discovered on my last day in Paris at an awesome West African restaurant. I liked it so much that I asked the owner what was in it, and then I made it myself:



It's normally made with a type of black Senegalese couscous that's of course impossible to find in Vosgien grocery stores, so I made it with a quinoa/white couscous/bulgur mix, and sweetened it with honey instead of sugar.

Sure it's great to cook new things, but what I really want to be doing is THIS:



2 comments:

Kiersten said...

Girl, did you burn the top of your gateau?

Rachel said...

nah dood its supposed to be like that, it actually tastes really good

plus, i don't have an oven! i can't burn nuthin.