2.1.10

Thoughts, by Rachel

I've wasted a lot of money discovering things. I mean, I've learned a lot.

My sisters are the coolest people on the planet.

Go see Max et les Maximonstres ("Where The Wild Things Are")!

I don't like places that pride themselves on luxury.

…………….

Aside from the tooth affair in Strasbourg and the brief food poisoning episode in Paris (fennel or pizza, we'll never know), les vacances were a success. I made it to the City of Lights on time and with all of my wisdom teeth intact, and promptly began what is thus far the most stereotypically touristic, ridiculous family vacation of my short little life. The highs were high (group hug atop the Arc de Triomphe, family dogpile, sister soirees), the lows low (the after-dinner cheese incident, tearful mother-daughter misunderstandings, pathetic New Year's Eve), the French mispronunciations severe.

But the "bon-swahs" aside ("is it 'soir' already? Damn" - Emily), the trip was a wonderful time warp that effectively threw me back into city mode and suddenly made the serenity of the Vosges seem tiresome (and so cold!). It all comes down to diversity -- diversity of age, color, size, shape, expression, style, culture, cuisine. I miss seeing people my own age; I miss hearing different kinds of music and smelling exotic smells; I miss feeling like I'm part of a community.

Mais pourtant, there's nothing I can do about it except continue to make the most out of my surroundings and not turn into a puddle of self-pitying sludge. There's still something awesome about eating locally, having mountains in my backyard, and living the slow life, since I almost certainly won't have access to any of these things once I return stateside. And that's how this whole thing works, right? Have something great, lose it, learn something, turn what you have into something else great, become a better, stronger person? Alchemy.

…………………..

Highlights from Strasbourg, la capitale de Noel:



 
 
 

And from Paris, city of lights, city of love, city of lost tourists -- the major attractions:

 
[inside Notre Dame]
 

[the Louvre]


[la Tour Eiffel]
 

[Sacre Coeur]
 

[Moulin Rouge]

 
[cimetiere Montparnasse]

the art:


[@ the Louvre]


 [@ the Museum of Modern Art]


 [@ the Louvre]

 
[inside the Arc de Triomphe]

the other cool stuff:




[close-up fleur-de-lis]

 
[Foucault's pendulum, @ the Pantheon]
 

 [driver's view in the metro]


the fam:


[the treeeeeee]



[the sisters]



[the Smuckers do Paris, '09]

....................................


Here goes France part two!

4 comments:

Kiersten said...

Where did you guys get the tiny tree?

Rachel said...

at the flower and plant market across the street from notre dame, of course

Kiersten said...

oh! of course. silly me!

Anonymous said...

rachel!! im so touched about what u said about me n meggo and i agree that my sisters are indeed the coolest people on the planet =] love u and stay warm,

-Emzadidski