10.10.09

Paradis Perdu

I got lost in the mountains today !

The top of the Xettes (foothills, I guess, of the Vosges mountains) is quite close to my apartment, so I decided to go for a bike ride there this afternoon. There were supposed to be trails and rocks and fun stuff like that, so I put on my teal Spandex pants and set off alone. It was a steady uphill ride -- it took me about half an hour -- but the view was incredible. At the very top of the Xettes is also a strange farm that sells homemade mohair stuff and has live goats; I think it's considered to be one of the "sights" up there.

So I trekked around, rode on some rocky paths, talked to an old lady and her dog for a bit, and started heading back when it began to rain. RAIN. I wanted to be adventurous and explore some more, which I did despite the downpour. I got lost, I got cold, I got pissed, I came home.

It's oddly comforting knowing that, however small I perceive Gerardmer to be, there's always some new back-woodsy trail on which I can lose myself. I'll have to make sure I take advantage of this before the snow gets here.



This is a bit of a shoddy picture (taken the other day), but I thought the sky looked incredible. And this is some Munster cheese (from Munster! half an hour away):

1 comment:

Ro said...

Munster!? Half an hour away! Send me some!

p.s. I'm SO glad you have a bike.