21.10.09

Lazy Title

I'm not sure if I ever properly explained what "la vie vosgienne" entails. This is a picture I found online of a woman who I think depicts the ideal "vosgienne" (woman from the Vosges):



She lives and works on a farm, has short, probably dyed, hair, and thin lips. She loves to eat anything with lardons (pieces of very fatty bacon), melted cheese, or mushrooms. She's tough as nails, but will lend you anything you might need. She's kind of dumpy; you have no idea why she's so physically strong.

That's about it. The Vosges are cold, mountainous, and have great dairy farms, so the people eat and act exactly as you think they might -- consuming massive quantities of cheese, bread, potatoes, and ham, and heating their homes with wood stoves. Kind of like upstate New Yorkers. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Also, I think I might have found a replacement shampoo -- soap. I agonized over the ingredients on every bottle of shampoo, body wash, baby soap, and bar soap at the pharmacy today, until I settled on THIS:



All good ingredients: essential oils, simple saponified oils of olive and palm, some chamomile extract. The only weird ingredient is salt, but it's listed last, so I'm not concerned. This soap is the closest thing I could find to a concentrated version of castile soap, and so far it seems to be a pretty good match. I frothed it up in my hands, rubbed it all over my scalp, then rinsed with vinegar as usual. And my hair feels awesome!

It's a comfort to know (now) that I can maintain my chemical-free shampoo habits without having too many problems. I was kind of worried what "normal" shampoo would do to my hair and body. I tried using a "regular" toner on my face during the middle of summer, just to see what would happen, and my skin freaked out -- pimples, irritation like crazy. I went through a pretty intense detox period after I stopped using shampoo, conditioner, and lotion -- and I'd rather not reverse it. My skin burned, my hair was a mess, I was in turns too dry and too greasy. Then after two weeks -- aha! Balance.

8 comments:

Kiersten said...

YAYYYY! Here I am posting a comment!

I'm so glad that you found an acceptable bar soap! Weleda is a great company- they sell a lot their stuff here, and it always smells great.

I hope you have a good draining soap dish!

Ro said...

Yayayayayayayayay!

p.s. Now what do you want for Christmas? Is a Robyn in your stocking a good replacement?

p.p.s. Kiersten, how in the hell do you know everything? I cower in your presence. You're an effing natty guru. Think about that.

Don Romaniello said...

I remember in high school they gave us a weak base in chemistry, so I took the opportunity to saponify my hand oils.

I also remember in elementary school wanting to put dish detergent into a small brook to make the water striders sink. My aunt stopped me.

Those are the stories about soap that Don has.

Rachel said...

i don't know if they do stockings here, but whatever form french presents come in, you're welcome to jump in among them! in other words, you can fly your now-healthy ass over the atlantic anytime you want :-)

Kiersten said...

Well I may be a natty guru occasionally, but I need to start doing a better job at practicing what I preach! I've relapsed back into straight up synthetic shampoos, Crest, and bacon. But no more!

Don- what hand oils??

Ro said...

Speaking of natty and uh... you are what you eat (whether we spoke up this or not, it's implicit, ok?):

I just went to a jazz show and a ridiculously decadent "Chocolate Bar" (BYOB)--i.e. a chocolaterie run by a straight-up Italian man in South Philly--with uh... a young Sociology professor we're all familiar with, and we ate chocolate from all over the world--2 of them being 75% cocoa pressed with rosemary and sage.

Hey, I cook with that and put that in my hair! I said.

Rock. :)

Courtney said...

soyez prudente parce que le savon peut renrde tes chexuex un peu sec et peut etre ton cuir chevelu souffra aussi dans la meme facon. il y a egalement du shampooing "bio" en france, peut etre pas dans les petits villes... Cherche en dehors des pharmacies-- un supermarche ou grand magasin?

Rachel said...

hahaha OUAIS, je connais le shampooing "bio," mais il a aussi les memes ingredients mauvaises ce que jn veut pas ! et ne t'inquiete pas, mes cheveux sont pas sec du tout, j'ai beaucoup de l'huile naturel sur ma tete ! hehe