27.10.09

Adventures, Quickly

I don't want to spend all of my time here using my Couchhost's computer, but I was gently awoken this morning by first a pigeon taking roost on the windowsill, and then rudely re-awoken by jackhammering in the street, so I don't really feel like this time is cutting into my day, which I had anticipated would start at about 10 o'clock.

I spend yesterday in Avignon, a large-ish city to the northwest of Aix. It's old, and beautiful, and I have plenty of pictures (and many more details) to post once I get home! I'm alternating my money-spending days with lazy free days (today) so that I don't become exhausted, financially and physically.

I'm meeting my second Couchhost tonight, a young French university student named Carole who lives in a studio apartment with her boyfriend, Clemente. I'm hoping she's looking forward to this being as much of a slumber party as I am.

Also, Nicole sent me a fantasic link to a New York Times article the other day about France and Halloween, a holiday that confuses and bemuses the French populace. I have yet to see any signs of alowine's approach in Aix, though I'm hoping that Marseille at least will have some bumpin' parties next Saturday.

I'm about to head off to the boulangerie to get some bread for this morning, as well as sniff out some good olive oil. I've compiled a small stack of non-perishable goodies that I'm dragging with me from house to house, knowing that I'll surely use them: green lentils, a bag of rice, garlic, a box of English Breakfast tea, hopefully olive oil. The only thing I wish I'd brought from home was salt and pepper, since I always feel bad asking my Couchhost if I can use a bit of hers. Dommage !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glad to hear from you in southern France. Your descriptions
of life around you

Anonymous said...

Hi Glad to hear from you in southern France. Your descriptions
of life around you