7.10.09

Musical Endeavors

I've been trying to get a feel for the traditional customs in Gerardmer by groping all the locals. Nah, just kidding. I've been going to concerts and movies and markets.

Lats Sunday, I went to a pipe organ concert in the main church in Gerardmer, Saint Bartholemy. The church recently had its organ restored, and so its musical renaissance was celebrated with a massive concert. A master organ player from the music conservatory in Nancy came to play it, and gee -- I nearly soiled myself with delight.



Unfortunately, this beautiful kidney was situated behind the audience, as I think are all organs in churches. I turned around a couple times to see the organist at work (he was thrashing around!), but for the most part, not being able to visually focus on something actually turned out to be quite the musical experience. For almost an hour and a half, the audience was seated and silent -- nothing to do, nothing to look at. The only sensory element in the church was the music, which created a sort of auditory backdrop to the collective thought arena of the audience.

I don't know how much the music influenced my thoughts, or how much of my thoughts existed independently of the music, but either way, I was mentally floating. I didn't get sleepy or fade out; my mind was resting on what became the theme song for my brain. It helped that the repertoire was quite good, as well -- the organist played some gentle Easter songs (whatever that means; they were peaceful), some extremely intense vampire tri-tonal mind-blowing songs, and some other stuff in between. I was very impressed.

I think attending a musical event without any sort of non-auditory sensory stimulation should be mandatory for all musicians. An orchestra concert doesn't count -- you can see the musicians, and follow the movement of the conductor. Maybe try listening to your favorite CD for an hour or so while staring at the wall? Just see what happens.

Also, I've gotten to practice my violin a couple times since I've been here, which has been nice. The acoustics in my dining room are fantastic!

3 comments:

Don Romaniello said...

Also required listening:

http://www.imeem.com/supremestylez/music/0Ra16TSq/visioneers-runnin/

Strangely, I attended an evensong yesterday at Grace Episcopal Church, and it was the first service played entirely on the transition organ because the old organ had completely died.

Anonymous said...

hi Rachel: Your blog makes us feel closer to you. Please keep them coming. We love you!
We pray for! Love PaPa

Ro said...

I had a similarly spiritual, yet very different musical experience this past Saturday. The Mars Volta blew my brain through the top of my skull with it's perfected combination of audio, fine art, digital art, and colored lights. I meditated for an hour and a half straight, staring straight ahead and feeling like I was seeing exactly what the band wanted me to see. A veritable buffet of otherworldliness set out for me. Cool beans, lady!