17.12.09

WWOOFing on Wednesdays

Another reason to like Wednesdays -- I WWOOF! I finally bought the WWOOFing catalog for France (15 euro, eh, but the organization has to support itself somehow) and looked up some local farmers in the Vosges, hoping to maybe learn how to make chevre or something on the weekends. I got in contact with a woman in nearby Anould who runs a horse farm, and met up with her on Wednesday. Though the possibility of riding is slim (most of the horses are old, and the frozen ground isn't too friendly on hooves right now), it was so nice just to be around horses again. There must be a reason people willingly shovel their feces; horses are incredible creatures. The woman, Suzanne, also has a bunch of colts at the farm, who are super friendly (super genial!) and love nuzzling humans.

WWOOFing is normally done by travelers who are looking to explore to agricultural life of a certain area, and will work on a farm somewhere in exchange for room and board. Since I'm only doing this on Wednesdays, Suzanne and I have agreed that I'll work in exchange for a meal and German lessons (she's German).

I'm hoping to WWOOF somewhere in the south of France for my February vacation (after I take the GREs in Paris...). I've already gotten positive responses from women in Corsica and near Perpingnan, a city in the waaaaay south that's just about on the Spanish border. I have to decide if I want to fly or take the TGV, which is really only a matter of convenience, since they'll cost about the same. Although, I'm thinking Corsica might be really nice to visit in the spring after I'm done with work... any takers?

4 comments:

Bill said...

1. Visits sound wonderful.

2. TGV!!! Significantly less emissions. Sorry to be "that guy," but I'm really feeling guilt from flying home yesterday. Trains are the way to go.

Rachel said...

yeah, i'm leaning towards le train too... the woman near perpignan is a bit nutso but seems super friendly, while the one is corsica thought i was a man for some reason...

Rachel said...

and wait, are you serious? you wanna go to corsica with me?

Nicole said...

yay! i am glad you are finally fulfilling your WWOOFing dreams