2.12.09

Wednesday is the new Saturday

It snowed here a few days ago, but only settled on the mountaintops. I wanted to go for a hike in the snow -- so I ran up to the top of the mountain and did it. Once again, I left my camera at home -- who wants to carry a camera on a jog? -- but found that there's something selfishly thrilling about seeing something beautiful and not being able to share it.

And this is how it went: I felt like a magical deer in the woods, running around in my blue leggings and knitted winter hat with braids dangling down my shoulders like a Jan Brett character, grinning and singing a little (there's nothing like the twangy background of "Red Squirrel Rising" to make you feel like a forest creature). I got lost a bit, as I always do on especially good excursions, and ran into a couple cool dogs. After about two and a half hours of this, I walked back down the mountain, where it was about six degrees (celcius) warmer and stinky with car exhaust.

3 comments:

Kiersten said...

Jan Brett!!! That painted a perfect picture. EXCELLENT.

Don Romaniello said...

Rachel, I love you.

Don

Ro said...

Anne & I went into White Clay for 4 hours on Thursday afternoon, & we wanted you with us the whole time. It was the furthest I've ever been in those woods, & we found a veritable playground complete with seesaws and swings made by Mother Nature herself. We talked to trees, listened to them squeal at us, & felt their heartbeats. Totally beautiful. And we missed you. :)

I love you, too.