8.5.11

Major Purchases

Making less money than a cheesemonger but spending it like "real person." Oh well! These are some things well-spent.

Books. Emily, Megan and I stopped at Powerhouse Arena in DUMBO yesterday, a publishing house-cum-bookstore-cum-art exhibit on Water Street where Spike Lee happened to be signing stuff. (!!!) I spent a full day's wages on books I've been meaning to buy for ages: The Pale King, by David Foster Wallace (unfinished and published posthumously...); A Gate at the Stairs, by Lorrie Moore; and Here is New York, by E.B. White. I also bought a pull-out poster book of old maps of New York as a joint gift for myself and Don; heck, we need something on our bare white walls besides that bamboo bowl.

NYC Century. I'm wussing out and not doing the whole century -- but I am doing a half! The registration was a little pricey, but all the money goes to Transportation Alternatives, a cycling/walking/public transit organization that has some serious clout in New York. Every year, they arrange the NYC Century, which is apparently the only all-urban century in the United States (it's also a tour, not a race -- thank god). They're also the organizers of the Tour de Bronx (in October) and the Tour de Queens (in July), both of which I am definitely doing.

Music. My ticket to go see Animal Collective at Prospect Park wasn't ridiculously expensive, but certainly counts as a serious investment for me. Though there is lots of excellent free music around in the summer (MoMA P.S. 1 Warm-Ups are starting soon! Andrew Bird in Brooklyn! Classical music in Central Park!), I am making an unwise promise to myself not to be a miser when it comes to seeing and hearing quality art. Anyone with me?

No comments: