5.8.10

Neighborhood #1: Da Pool

No relation to The Arcade Fire... this is the first of perhaps many entries on my little home, Astoria, Queens. I moved in about two months ago (with Don, my boyfriend) and our apartment is a chaotic nest of curios, Mediterranean-inspired foods, and dust. But it's coming along; I actually kind of love it.

But onto the pool -- I discovered Astoria Park's public pool as I was checking out the park itself, a green slice of scraggly grass sandwiched between the Triborough and Hellgate Bridges, hugging the East River with a slimy yet somehow endearing "coastline." The pool is the largest in all five boroughs, and was built during the 1930s as part of the Works Progress Administration by our own dear Robert Moses. The place has a massive, classical feel about it; it reminds me of F. Scott Fitzgerald, synchronized swimming, and white people. Think about some of the bath houses at Jones Beach and you'll know what I mean.


Now, the place is a haven for Astoria's ethnically diverse population (most diverse in the country!) and is, of course, free. Discovering this pool started things off on a good note.

No comments: