18.8.10

Lit Life

I'm trying to get a grip on the words and letters of my new urban life. Seeing as I'm starting graduate school in the spring, I figured I should educate myself as much as possible on the literary front, beginning with a failed attempt to read War and Peace and an empty relationship with the New York Public Library (I have yet to avail myself of its revered tomes). I have, however, been keeping up with my and Don's New York Times subscription.

(Note: does anyone else think the magazine is losing it's spark? The writing doesn't seem as good these days...)

I also have a New Yorker subscription, whose short stories and masterfully-crafted articles keep my literary side pretty much satiated. Its recent running feature, "20 Under 40," is a set of 20 short stories -- one or two per issue -- that have all been written by authors under 40. (An entertaining and respectable effort to keep young peeps involved -- kind of like P.S. 1's Young Architects Program).

I also went to the Strand the other day, the famous "home of 18 miles of books" -- meaning, it's a crazy mess that hides its good deals in the basement. I bought Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace. Let's see if I get to it.

1 comment:

Bill said...

From August 9th to August 14th, the NYT had to issue 60 corrections. Granted that's a big paper, but ten boo-boos a day for something that is supposed to be the pinnacle of journalism is sad. I think you are right to question the standards.