9.4.12

Utahns

I went to far-flung Utah this weekend for a milestone event: a bridal shower. Remove any ideas of fluffy flowers and screaming and pink lace, because Kiersten is too cool and Utah is too beautiful to stand for any of that 1950s nonsense. Here's the bride-to-be's cute little face:


Aside from the party itself, we did lots of crunchy Utah things, like go for a walk in City Creek -- Brigham Young's original piece of property -- check out the public library, and go to a vinyasa yoga class.

Rooftop of the library - they have a beehive too! 

I got to meet Kiersten's family, including her sisters -- who are a lot like mine! -- and the various animals running underfoot.

The gorgeous Lil B 

The bridal party (minus one sister): me, Courtney (maid of honor), Kiersten, Chloe "Ole Chole", and Zoe.

Kiersten, Mike, and Grandma Cosette 

Mystery, the toothless teacup Chihuahua

The party itself was not without some pomp, but that was ok -- there was a gypsy jazz string quartet and some seriously fancy cakes.


Church of Latter-Day Saints - no one but Mormons can go inside!

 Inside the Mormon Visitor's Center - a huge Jesus surrounded by celestial bodies

Some very interesting interactive Visitor's Center stuff

As expected, the bridal shower allowed everyone some much-needed girl time which, after years of telling myself I don't need it, was incredibly refreshing. I'm learning that it's ok to admit to things like that -- to anything, really, that you might be trying to brush under the rug, unsuccessfully. As much as I love New York -- evangelically so -- I felt much more at ease, at home, and at peace in Utah, with my friends, than I have in a long time. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rachel for sharing your journey, to Flushing Botanical (I miss it), and your Utah travel. I'll take "Mystery" if they want to get rid of their Chihuahua. I suppose you'll send pictures and stories of the wedding also. See you at Megan's graduation. Mema