17.11.09

Suburbia: The Perfect Starter for the Sourdough of Life

Every Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, and all other holidays where stuffing your face with festively-spiced carbohydrates is appropriate, thousands of Long Islanders flock to the Milleridge Inn for overpriced five-course meals served by Spanish waiters in a dilapidated building. The charm is obvious; it's not a real Christmas without the Milleridge, you see -- not without the faux-copper pots hanging above the real fireplace that dates back to the Revolutionary War era, or the real exposed wooden beams -- look, they're even crooked! That means they're old. 

Before I came to Europe, the oldest thing I'd seen outside of a museum was the Milleridge Inn. 

Like most Long Islanders, I appreciated any building that was not made out of plywood, cement, or asphalt. The Milleridge boasted real wooden shingles and a massive brick fireplace; I fell in love. The building possessed more years of dusty (and probably bloody) history than did any building I'd seen as a child. 

Of course, I've since seen some honest-to-god old buildings in Quebec City with Madame Vert's French class of '99; in Oxford and London with my mother; and in France, everywhere. But simply looking at these buildings is besides the point -- what makes the centuries-old cathedrals of France different from the Milleridge Inn is not their annual tourism revenue (which is probably about the same, considering what the Milleridge charges per plate), but their normalcy. 

Churches, fountains, cobblestone roads, and town halls, scattered shamelessly across Europe for all pedestrians and motorists to underappreciate. Going to la boulangerie? Make a right at the Gothic cathedral, follow the tiny road that's too small to fit a SmartCar, and pass under the 12th-century bridge, you'll see it in the old Roman bath building. I know, it's a real pain to get to; I just buy my bread at Monoprix. 

I appreciate neither the giddiness of Long Islanders, nor the blasĂ© attitude of the French. You're missing half the world in both cases, either because you're too busy staring at the handmade musket replicas to notice the scenery, or because you're not looking at all. And this is why I'm glad that I grew up in suburbia. 

During my travels in Provence, I noticed a pattern in the way I would respond (physically, emotionally, intellectually, fastidiously) to each impressively-aged batiment. Without fail, I would smile a little, take a breath, and feel a physically refreshing sense of childlike wonder pass through my body, imbued with the appreciation of an adult. It's quite a nice feeling. 

I felt this when I first saw le Palais des papes in Avignon; when I saw the tiny, twisted streets of Aix-en-Provence for the first time; when I saw the Roman amphitheatre in Arles; when I realized that the garden in the back of the monastery at La Chartreuse in Villeneuve-lez-Avignon was still a fully functional kitchen garden (complete with almonds, limes, persimmons, oranges, olives, and roses!). 

I owe my sense of appreciative wonder to my completely average and thus fantastic background. [I'm using the word average in its literal sense, and without pejorative connotation.] Levittown, true to its roots, is an utterly average place. It's relatively close to the beach, the mountains, and the city; the houses are basically the same size; there is no great disparity between classes; the schools are decent; crime is relatively low, but not nonexistent. In the opinion of a person who is still young and has traveled only a little in her lifetime and is open to disagreement with this statement, Levittown is one of the most average places I have come ever across. 

I have been nourished, educated, and socialized just enough -- the perfect amount -- and in a modern context (meaning, with average exposure to technology). I've never been truly hungry, cold, or unhappy, nor have I ever gone on lavish vacations, eaten at a five-star restaurant, or gotten whatever I've asked for. Located at exactly the middle of the American social and economic spectrum, my life as a child was essentially a blank slate, perfectly capable of ascension or descension. (Or, as many choose, stagnation. Suburbia can be a dangerous place when it happens to people who are a bit too content to rest on their laurels.) 

Thus, my constant smiling and gasping. My purely mediocre upbringing has allowed me to view the world with the eyes of someone who is very slightly experienced, enough to be familiar with most things in life without ever becoming either overwrought with wonder, or bored. Churches? Yeah, I know what those are, but I've never seen one like that

Perhaps this all has nothing to do with my suburban upbringing. Perhaps I'm playing down the individual importance of family life, friends, personal level of intelligence, genetics, and so on. But how well can you thrive if you're never given access to the proper tools for maturation, like nature, books, colors, music? Or, at the opposite extreme, given so many tools that you're never given the chance to challenge yourself? 

Wouldn't you prefer the chance to take your middling education, your public swimming pools and dingy town library, and turn them into something great? 

The world is and always will be my oyster. 

....................

"One of [the brain's] functions is to make the miraculous seem ordinary, and turn the unusual into the usual -- because if this was not the case, then human beings, faced with the daily wondrousness of everything, would go around wearing big, stupid grins; they'd say "wow!" a lot. Part of the brain wants to stop this from happening. It is very efficient. It can make people experience boredom in the middle of marvels." 

-Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

6 comments:

Don Romaniello said...

"Humans! They lived in a world continued to be green and the sun rose everyday and flowers regularly turned into fruit, and what impressed them? Weeping statues. And wine made out of water! A mere quantum-mechanistic tunnel effect, that'd happen anyway if you were prepared to wait zillions of years. As if the turning of sunlight into wine, by means of vines and grapes and time and enzymes, wasn't a thousand times more impressive and happened all the time..."

Rachel said...

as if i'm not impressed by nature itself? of course i am. but it's also pretty convenient being able to be easily impressed by everything else in the world

Ro said...

As much as I really enjoy your sentiment and nostalgia, I think you are playing down what you already recognize: your personal family, yourself, your friends, and your experiences outside of Levittown. I don't think suburbia is the reason for any of your wonder. I think you got out, and you're stronger, and you're special.

Are you forgetting the fact that you know people who think you can get AIDS from toilet seats and I overheard a college-aged girl who had to warn her boyfriend not to be pissed because there would be *hush* black people at her New Year's Eve party?

I love the post, and I'm not putting you down. I think you have major points and it's LOVELY that you get to see and think about all these things. But suburbia got it wrong by its own convenience.

Kiersten said...

I agree with you Rachel, living in suburbia in the United States is living in a community that is practically devoid of historical context and the beauty of the antique. Although suburbia is nurturing and perfect for the average middle-class family, there's nothing in it that inspires the same feelings you get when looking at a 1,000 year old cathedral.

Living in suburbia has been anything but restraining on our outlook- I think it inspired our desire to learn more and be fascinated by other cultures, places, feelings, people, etc...

There is no way I would have been so impressed by the Alhambra, Scottish castles, or Celtic ruins if I hadn't grown up with such an average existence, yet one that afforded me with the opportunities to experience these things. The sourdough starter for sure.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it.

Rachel said...

who dis??