29.9.12

Food Blog

So now that I have an iPhone ($.99... the cheapest most complicated piece of technology I've ever purchased) I am able to take pictures of my food like the rest of the world.

Vegan apple pie: our hand-picked apples + a pie crust made with Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. Sweetened with honey and maple syrup instead of white sugar. Hand-ground cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.  

Red beet eggs: a Pennsylvania Dutch specialty that I brought to a "cultural" potluck/wedding party with some of my work colleagues. First time I've made them, and successfully! Fresh boiled beets, a little sugar, white vinegar, salt, hard boiled eggs. My grandma's recipe called for canned beets but I think using fresh ones was really essential.


Sauerkraut: red and white cabbage in a canning jar. This is my third attempt at homemade sauerkraut, and it finally worked -- the problem was getting the fermentation right, which means making sure no other airborne bacteria/fungi/yeast will find their way into your cabbage, which is essentially open-air for about a week. This was once crunchy raw cabbage, and now it's soft, tangy, and a little salty. Wild fermentation!


How am I managing to cook so much when I have so little time??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, how do you manage to cook so much with so little time? Did you bake that apple pie? I want a taste of it.