23.9.11

Little Mundane Updates

1. I chopped all my hair off with a kitchen scissor!


It pretty much looks like crap 7 year-old's haircut but I think after a week or so of growing out, it should be okay. I've been meaning to do it for awhile, though the true decision came about a week ago in yoga class when, while tilted sideways during a twisted trikonasana, I felt my neck straining to hold up the 2-pound bun of hair piled atop my head. Hair shouldn't be hard. 

2. Don and I made pickles.



Not great shots, but my beloved camera recently bit the dust, so I'm excusing the shoddiness with my unfamiliarity with Don's camera. Also I was lazy. We made these pickles nearly a week ago, to enormous success (Don's dream is to sell jars of them at Union Square Greenmarket and "make a mint"). We had three jars: marinated mushrooms, with our "standard" pickling mix (water, white vinegar, bay leaf, mustard seed, juniper, pimento, etc.) and pearl onions; a batch of whole and sliced cucumbers, also using the standard mix but with added cumin seeds; and a "sushi" mix, of cucumbers in a ginger-garlic brine with a bit of soy and leek (my personal favorite... will be adding wasabi next time). All three versions are absolutely restaurant-worthy and I'm not ashamed to admit how proud I am  of these magnificent snacks of the vinegar brine world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel: you cut your hair. I can't wait to see you? What are you doing with your hair? I think you can sell it or give it away for a wig or cancer kids who loose their hair.

The pickles look good........I'm proud of you and Don!