11.3.11

Growing Up

I made it! I'm out! I can wipe my hands clean of this bloated corpse the world calls the restaurant industry, finally. My formal new title: Editorial Assistant to the Adult International publishing branch of the English Language Teaching division of Oxford University Press.

A part of me wants to reject the corporatized 9-5 lifestyle, a knee-jerk "eff that!" reaction. But corporatized is the key word here, and wrongly so; students live basically 9-5, weekday schedules, too, so there really is no need for me to identify myself with some middle-management marketing slave when I can just think of myself as a modified student. And my hours are 8-4, anyway.

For the first time in my adult American life -- as in, post-college, not France -- I will have a schedule that allows me to confidently plan ahead. I can buy bus tickets to visit friends a month from now without having to worry if I might have to work that day -- amazing! Expect weekend visits from me, everyone. I can go on excursions out of town, if I feel like it -- take the Metro North up through the Hudson Valley and go camping with Don; take a bus to Boston for the hell of it; take the train out to Montauk for the weekend. Where all of this vacation money will come from is the next step.

But who cares about money when you have health care?


I'm very excited, to say the least. I'm sure I won't be so thrilled when I'm near passing-out on top of a stack of invoices at 8:30 in the morning, but maybe later that day I'll have some workbook pages to edit and then ride my bike home and then go to my Harlem Renaissance class (starts July 5th!), and then everything will be okay. Better than okay; probably pretty great.

This is all also coinciding with the onset of spring, which makes me a little bit insane, allergic, and happy. My and Don's Chestnut Ale will be ripe for drinking soon (we've tested a few early bottles... eh); a new batch of English IPA is on its way tomorrow. New plants are on the windowsill; the Wizard is becoming soft and nice. I haven't worn my winter hat in a week.

1 comment:

Kiersten said...

Yay! Rach!! Congratulations!