28.11.10

Fromage

Things have been rough lately, though nothing more complex than overworkage. I've been slaving away about 50 hours per week for the last three weeks, all in an attempt to free myself from the bonds of serving tables: I am now the proud slinger of cheese, seller of curds: a cheesemonger. I still work at the same restaurant, though there is something magically calming about tending cheese that waiting tables just couldn't deliver. Sure, I make less money, but a financial sacrifice for psychic sanctity is a good exchange to me. I'll just have to cut back on a few things (e.g., Park Avenue Odwalla juice, $3 organic avocados, bottles of port, etc.).

In the meantime, I've accomplished and discovered a few minor things. I explored the Queens Museum of Art, which is essentially a World's Fair museum; registered for class at Long Island University (starting in January!); and bought a couch at Ikea, which is too big for the room and makes my apartment look like a post-modern scattering of silly furniture.

The famous "Panorama" at the Queens Museum: a to-scale model of New York City, all five boroughs; one inch = 100 feet. Fascinating.
 
 My "new" place of employment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesomeeeee! Is there an ultimate book about cheese that you recommend? I'm thinking of buying something like "The Cheese Bible by Christian Teubner" for a couple family members for Christmas. Could use your expert advice : )

Anonymous said...

I should specify—what I'm in search of is an encyclopedia of cheese. Not necessarily cheese recipes.

Rachel said...

right now, i'm reading max mccalman's "the cheese plate" -- it gives you all the information on how cheese is made, how it should be consumed, presented, etc., and lists a bunch of cheeses and their profiles. his other book, "cheese: a connoisseur's guide to the world's best" is more like an encylopedia, as it lists a whole bunch of cheeses and profiles them more in depth than the first book. this guy started the cheese program at my restaurant, and is apparently pretty awesome at cheese-related anything.

good luck!