15.9.10

NYRO

Although my attempts to replicate the activities of my college days haven't been exactly successful, they've been rewarding in a different way -- namely, because I have to work my ass for every damn thing these days, instead of trotting over to the UD recreation center with my racquet in hand. Yoga is back in my life, thanks to Yoga Agora, a great little studio that gives 85-minute long power vinyasa sessions for only $5. Racquet sports and horses are sadly out of the picture but, after a long hiatus, the violin is back! Practicing solo only motivates me so far... and not far. I had my first rehearsal with the New York Repertory Orchestra last week at their beautiful venue in Times Square, and felt the pulse of musical life juice its way back through my veins. It felt like the missing piece in my life, actually; I'm really looking forward to this week's practice.

Saint Mary the Virgin Church (can you believe this is hidden in a city block near Times Square??)

We're playing some obscure and complicated pieces: Carl Nielsen's Symphony No. 4, "The Inextinguishables"; Albert Roussel's "Concerto for Small Orchestra"; and Astor Piazzolla's "Four Seasons," and Argentinian take on Vivaldi's piece of the same name. Check out this insane recording of Piazzolla's "Summer" movement:


Besides being able to share in my sense of personal fulfillment and happiness, the best part (for you) about me joining this orchestra is that the concerts are FREE! My first one is on Saturday, October 23rd, at 8pm, at the above church. Come czech it out!

No comments: