9.4.10

Accidental Art

Enough with food blogging and its obsession with well-presented food -- I had a couple of cooking accidents recently (fell asleep while the lentils were boiling… ruined the pan) and found some cool designs in my messes. And then I made them NEON! The red one is my background. 

my scraped and burned lentil pot (an ultrasound)

the charred impression of lentils... alas (pomegranate entrails)

sticky turmeric residue (toxic)

a pile of used curry leaves (frog's nest)

Has anyone read Amy Sedaris' "I Like You: Hospitality Under The Influence"? She takes some great pictures of food messes. My personal favorites: hot fruit, 12-step angel food cake, blue crab cheese balls.

............................................................

En plus: I'm leaving for my BENELUX trip tomorrow! Five days in Brussels with Bill, a week in Amsterdam with my Dutch friends Brenda and Nicolette, a weekend in Luxembourg with a stranger (Couchsurfing!). Daytrips to nearby cities are definitely in the works: Bruges, Gent, Rotterdam, Dutch fishing villages. We'll see. I like spending long periods of time in one location, as it makes for more flexible itineraries. Vacation keywords: chocolate, beer, canals, windmills, fries, European parliament, Nachtspelen.

I'm pretty excited to have a social vacation, as well as leave France for the first time since I've been here. I don't regret my previous vacations at all -- I'd rather dig deeply and narrowly than spread myself thin with a pathetic attempt to see "EUROPE" (omgz dublin was sooo awesome on st pattys day !!!1) -- though I am quick to admit that I've missed having a social life and, most of all, sharing experiences with people I know. I've explained my life story (in French) too many times; I'm ready to sit down with a friend and talk about nothing and everything and not care if I'm using the subjunctive correctly!

And then…

Time begins to lose its rigidity and the frightening spiral of departure gains momentum! I come back, get more wisdom teeth out (yeah… and this time they're slicing my gums open ::sigh::), work for my last week, i.e., play jeopardy and draw horses in all my classes, and somehow move my life to Paris. My boss was quite friendly when it came to moving me into Gerardmer, but trying to get him to give me a ride to the train station this time is like pulling teeth (the American dentist way). The last thing I want is to be hauling all my little life's possessions onto Vosgien transport, which is difficult enough without a violin, a suitcase, and two backpacks. (Did I mention I got passed by completely the other day, standing at the bus stop and waving at the driver? I have had enough of this overpriced garbage.)

I don't want to start the intense reflection period just yet, but I will say that my sejour in France has been one of the most beautiful, tranquil, educational experiences I have ever had. I am neither sad nor happy to leave; it's just over. NEXT.

5 comments:

Sky Blue Sky said...

NEXT!

Rachel said...

kelly! you have a blog!

Anonymous said...

on to duh next onee on to duh next one

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do think this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it ;) I'm going to return yet again since i have saved as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide other people.

Take a look at my blog :: Psn Code Generator

Anonymous said...

Hello, everything is going perfectly here and ofcourse every one is sharing data,
that's truly good, keep up writing.

Feel free to visit my weblog :: Generateur De Code PSN